Basil Spicy Tips and Tricks
- Our strongest flavour basil
- Basils germinate quite fast, in 5 to 6 days, and produce first leaves in a couple of weeks.
- The growth speeds up about one month from sowing.
- Pinch off the tips of each stem in one capsule when they are approx. 5 cm tall. Now the stems branch and produce even more leaves to enjoy!
- You can harvest both big leaves and the stem tips.
- If you wish to have this herb for weeks, only use around 30% at a time.
- If the plants grow too tall, you can cut them at the halfway or even lower.
- The white flowers are beautiful and edible, but to avoid bitterness in leaves use them in decoration.
Ocimum basilicum - Spicy
What to do when you have a bountiful harvest of fresh leaves with a warm, sweet and spicy flavor? Tear the leaves to release the aroma and mix them to salads, soups or stir-fries; especially if you are experimenting with Vietnamese food. Spicy basil also complements nicely the taste of vegetables, especially tomatoes, and fruit. A new way to decorate your apple pie with? Or your hot tea toddy on a cold winter night?