Basil Estimated Growth Time in Plantui SMART GARDEN
Basil Tips and Tricks
- Basils germinate quite fast, in 5 to 6 days, and produce first leaves in a couple of weeks.
- The growth speeds up about one month from sowing.
- Pinch off the tips of each stem in one plant capsule when they are approx. 5 cm tall. Now the stems branch and produce even more leaves to enjoy!
- You can harvest both big leaves and stem tips.
- If you wish to have this herb for weeks, only use around 30% at a time.
- If the plants grow too tall, you can cut them at the halfway or even lower.
- The white flowers are beautiful and edible, but to avoid bitterness in leaves use them in decoration.
Basil is sometimes called the king of herbs. This honorary title is not only tied to cooking: basil has been found in the royal burial chambers of the pyramids. Basil, with its aromatic, aniseed-like sweetish flavour and its strong clove scent, is the staple for all of us who love pesto and Caprese salad. You can also use it in pasta and risotto and throw a handful of leaves on pizzas or bruschetta. And do not dedicate this versatile herb to main dishes only! Basil and strawberries or peaches are a great match. Try cooking basil, water, and sugar into a lovely syrup and sprinkle it on fruit and berries, or mix it into your favourite summer drink.