Basil Dark Tips and Tricks
- Basils germinate quite fast, in 5 to 6 days, and produce first leaves in a couple of weeks.
- The growth speeds up about one month from sowing.
- Pinch off the tips of each stem in one capsule when they are approx. 5 cm tall. Now the stems branch and produce even more leaves to enjoy!
- You can harvest both big leaves and the stem tips.
- If you wish to have this herb for weeks, only use around 30% at a time.
- If the plants grow too tall, you can cut them at the halfway or even lower.
- The white flowers are beautiful and edible, but to avoid bitterness in leaves use them in decoration.
Ocimum basilicum ‘Dark Opal’
It’s practically impossible to get fed up with basil. But when you’re looking for some change, try the decorative purple version. It has pretty, glossy leaves with almost a royal color that gets darker when the plant matures. Try stopping a few shoots to a bottle of home-made vinaigrette. When infusing, they’ll give dressing a pretty ruby shade. The eye-catching purple leaves of Dark Opal basil will turn an ordinary fruit salad to a glorious dessert – and your ordinary bath to a refreshing soak fit for a queen or a king.